The Blazon of Arms
In the shield it is placed in front of a wavy pall representing the three rivers which have their confluence at Brecon, namely the Usk , the Honddu and the Tarell and upon a green field representing the countryside. The long bow in the crest is in allusion to Brecons long military tradition and the hay fork to the position the Town enjoys as the centre of an agricultural area.
Of the Supporters, the Eagle on the denter side stands for St. John the Evangelist (in allusion to the Cathedral Church of St John the Evangelist) and is differenced by a green and white rounded charged on the wing by an open back. The Dragon of Wales on the sinister side needs no explanation and is here differenced by a rounded charged with XXIV referring to the XXIV Regiment, South Wales Borderers who on June 11th 1948 received the Freedom of the Borough.
The Arms and Supporters stand on a conventional representation of Brecon as an ancient walled town behind which can be seen the twin Brecon Beacons. The Motto, in Welsh, is "Canmel dy fro a thrig yno" meaning "Commend thy locality and dwell therein".