555 N. Maple Road, Saline, MI 48176 (734) 429-5450 Fax:(734) 944-0600 Mon-Thu 9a-9p Fri-Sat 10a-5p Sun 1p-5p

This year, the deadline is Monday, April 15, 2013 to file 2012 tax returns and pay any tax due.

What forms are available at the library?
The library has ordered the following forms but has not yet received all of them.

1040 forms and instructions
1040A forms and instructions
1040 EZ forms and instructions
1040 Schedules A, B, C, C-EZ, D, E, EIC, F, R, R (instructions), SE, 8812, 8812 (instructions), ES (2013)
1040-V forms
1040 X forms and instructions
2106 forms and instructions
2441 forms and instructions
3903 forms
4562 forms and instructions
4868 forms
5695 forms
8283 forms and instructions
8822 forms
8829 forms and instructions
8863 forms and instructions
8949 forms
Publications 1, 17, 225, 334, 501, 505, 523, 529, 535, 550, 590, 596, 936, 970 and 4604.

Michigan books and forms

Where can I find federal tax forms and instructions online?
Federal tax forms and instructions can be found on the IRS Forms & Publications page. Forms are available for both the current and past years. Braille, large print and accessible pdf versions of some publications are available as well.

Where can I find state tax forms and instructions online?
Tax forms and instructions for the state of Michigan can be found on the Michigan.gov Michigan Taxes page. This page contains the most current tax forms and publications and answers some of the most commonly asked questions.

Where can I file my taxes for free?
The IRS has several options for filing for free online. Visit their their Free File page for more information on how to choose the best option. Michigan.gov has a few options available to qualified individuals as well. www.MIfastfile.org has more information.

Where can I find free tax preparation assistance?
There are several organizations providing volunteer tax preparation services for free in Washtenaw County this year. Click here to view a list. Most require appointments and only accept taxpayers with limited income.

How can I contact the IRS?
The IRS provides live telephone assistance for individuals from 7:00am - 7:00 pm, Monday - Friday at 1-800-829-4933. Businesses may call 1-800-829-4933. Tax assistance for individuals with disabilities and the deaf and hard of hearing may call 1-800-829-4059 or view this page for more information on special assistance.
For face-to-face assistance, the closest IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TACS) is located in Detroit, Michigan. Visit this page for their contact information and a list of the services they provide.

How can I contact the Michigan Department of Treasury?
The number for Treasury Information is (517) 373-3200. To have current year MI-1040 & CR (Income Tax and Homestead Property Tax Credit) and MI-CR7 (Home Heating Credit) forms mailed to you call 517-636-4486 and select option 2. To reach more specific departments or for email or online contact information, visit the MI Department of Treasury Contact Us page.

Are there books/guides/other resources available?
The library has a few guides available to check out as well as some available for use only within the library. The call numbers are 343.73 and R 343.73. The IRS publications also are good sources of information on specific tax issues such as guides for taxpayers living abroad, armed forces and charitable contributions.